The Veterans Association Food Bank is dedicated to supporting and enriching the lives of Veterans and
their families. They recognize any person who is currently serving or has honourably served in the
Canadian Armed Forces. They also offer support to those currently serving, honourably discharged or
honourably released Commonwealth Allies, members of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police,
Peacekeepers, Merchant Marines, or Ferry Command (Coast Guard). Support is extended to spouses,
widows, widowers, and any dependent children in need. Proof of military service or affiliation required.
Core Values of the Program:
• Treat all Veterans with dignity and respect
• Operate a food bank that will sustain the needs of our Veterans
• Encourage Veterans to be a part of the Veterans Helping Veterans initiative
• Ensure that all donations made to the Veterans Association Food Bank directly support
Veterans through programs and services
At Hope, we are accepting financial donations as well as non-perishable food items and essential
household items for hampers. They will also take your left-over Halloween candy. We are also
collecting items for their Christmas Gift Hampers, and donations for their Thrift Store.
PLEASE REVIEW THE LIST OF ITEMS CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU DROP ITEMS OFF AT THE
Suggested non-perishable food items:
• Crackers, canned fruit, quick oats, sardines, canned fish, instant rice, pasta, salad dressing
Suggested essential items:
• shaving cream, dish soap, cleaning supplies, toilet paper, Kleenex, shampoo/ conditioner
Suggested Christmas hamper ideas:
• socks, lip balm, hot chocolate, postage stamps, LETTERS TO OUR VETERANS (great idea for
Suggested items for the Veterans Association Thrift Store:
• CLEAN, GENTLY USED household items.
• Toys, games, books, puzzles
• NEW or GENTLY USED clothing, shoes and accessories.
• Note: please do not donate broken, stained, unusable goods. This makes extra work for
church staff and we will have to pay to take things to the dump.
• FURNITURE ITEMS ARE NOT ACCEPTED
If you are going to bring donated items in for the store, please make an appt. with Zena or Jane. We
will go through the boxes and ask you to take home anything that is damaged or not on their list of
The Veterans Association Thrift Store is open to the public Monday – Saturday from 10am to
5pm. #1 640, 28th Street NE, Calgary
Revenues from the store go directly to support programs and services of the Veterans
Association Food Bank